Kids Dental Hints and Tips For Healthy Teeth
- Healthy Eating – Cavity causing foods are those with a high sugar content. To reduce the risk of tooth decay it is important to reduce the total intake of sugary foods and the number of times sugars are eaten throughout the day.
- Healthy Drinking – Children should drink plenty of plain tap water and limit the consumption of soft drinks, sports drinks, cordials and fruit juices, which can have a high sugar and acid content.
- Brush Twice a Day – It is important for kids to clean their teeth at least twice a day with a gentle but thorough brushing action using a soft brush with a small head and fluoride toothpaste. Correct regular brushing will reduce plaque build-up and tooth decay and help maintain healthy gums and teeth. Up to age eight, kids will need assistance to brush correctly, as most children lack the manual dexterity to brush correctly before eight years of age.
- Floss Daily – Children should floss between their teeth every day to remove food and plaque from the spaces between teeth where their toothbrush may not be able to reach and clean. Supervision and assistance from an adult is highly recommended to ensure that kids adopt a daily flossing routine.
- Visit Your Dentist Regularly – It is recommended that from age two, children visit the dentist every six months for a thorough check-up. Regular check-ups from an early age reinforce good dental care and assist in reducing the need for fillings in the future.
- Wear a Mouth Guard For Sport – It is important to play safe in all sports by protecting children’s teeth with a custom-made, professionally fitted mouth guard. Mouth guards are available in a range of colours, even team colours, and should always be worn when training and playing sport to minimise the risk of dental injury.
Take the next step and visit us for an oral care appointment. Our kids friendly staff will take care of everything.